Third-country nationals are individuals who are neither EEA- nor Swiss citizens. If they intend to reside or settle in Austria for a period of more than six months they require a residence title (permission to stay for more than six months) corresponding to their residence purpose.

For stays of up to six months no residence title shall be granted. Instead, a visa must be applied for if necessary.

Settlement Permit - Gainful Employment Excepted

Third-country nationals wishing to settle in Austria without gainful employment (e.g. pensioners, financially independent individuals) may obtain a residence title “Settlement Permit – Gainful Employment Excepted“.
This residence title may be granted to third-country nationals, if:

  • They fulfil the general requirements for granting such an entitlement.
  • A quota under the quota system is available (only a limited number of settlement permits can be granted each year).
  • They have a regular monthly income (e.g. Austrian or foreign pensions, profits from enterprises abroad, income from assets, savings or company shares) equaling twice the amount of the standard rates of the General Social Insurance Act (ASVG)
    General Social Insurance Act - standard rates for the year 2014

  Standard Rate Twice the Rate
Single € 857.73 € 1,715.46
Married couples or partnerships € 1,286.03 € 2,572.06
Additionally for each child € 132.34 € 264.68

Read More

Long-term Resident - EU

The residence title “Long-term Resident – EU” may be granted to third-country nationals, if they

  • Have been entitled to reside in Austria during the last five years without interruption
  • Have fulfilled the general requirements
  • Have completed Module 2 of the Integration Agreement (i.e. German language skills at B1 level according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages).

Further information and useful links


Laws and Provisions