Citizens of the EU/EEA countries, Switzerland or the Nordic countries can reside in Denmark according to special regulations. 
Please note that the information on this page is a simplified and edited version of the rules. If you are in doubt about the rules, or you want further information about the rules, please contact the Danish Immigration Service

If you have close relatives in Denmark, you can apply for a residence permit on the grounds of family reunification.

Provided that certain requirements are met, family reunification can be granted to:

If you are granted a residence permit, it will be a temporary one with a possibility for extension, provided that you still meet the requirements. After a number of years, you can apply for a permanent residence permit. You must still meet the conditions for your original residence permit, as well as a number of additional requirements. Read more about permanent residence permit.

If you are granted a residence permit on the grounds of family reunification, you also have the right to work in Denmark.

If the person in Denmark (the spouse/partner or the parent) is an EU/EEA citizen or Swiss citizen residing in Denmark under the EU regulations on free movement, special rules apply. Read more about EU and Nordic Citizens.

Special rules also apply if the person residing in Denmark has been granted a residence permit as a student or in order to work. Read more about students andwork.

Furthermore, special rules apply to Danish citizens who are applying for family reunification under the EU regulations on free movement. Read more aboutfamily reunification for Danish citizens under EU regulations.

If you have questions about family reunification, you are welcome to contact the Danish Immigration Service.